St Lukes Ministry - St. Lukes Ministry CNA Training Program

Denver, Colorado 12 comments

The director, Roger Swier, told the whole CNA class the person's or people's name(s) who didn't pass the CNA exam.He doesn't keep individuals' personal information private, he instead shares this info with the whole class.

I found this extremely unprofessional and shockingly rude. He also charges everyone for mandatory extra skills practices, whether they use them or not. So for those of us who do not use the extra skill pratcies, we are losing money and Roger is gaining it - and not for doing any additional work. The website also claims that students get resumes on resume paper - not true.

They also claim to assist with job search, but they sure didnt help me or my classmates find a job.

Review about: Cna Training Certified Nurse Aid.

Comments

Denver, Colorado, United States #1268538

I took my CNA training with Megan and Roger back in 2011.I am now a Registered Nurse who loves my job and I feel that St Lukes set the foundation for my career in healthcare.

The program is solid, the cost reasonable and the instructors actually care and want you to succeed.

It is too bad this "Em" person did not attempt to communicate with Roger personally before bashing the CNA program as a whole...communication, after all, is key in any profession; especially healthcare.

Englewood, Colorado, United States #750666

St Lukes Ministry CNA Training program is wonderful and Roger Swier is a very professional, competent and compassionate person. I did the program as a single mother with a special needs child and I loved it! I don't know who "Em" is but her or his negative comments seem not

trustworthy to me.

for the one person who had a bad experience at St.Lukes there are so many hundreds who have a had wonderful ones.

I have taken the CNA class through St. Lukes Ministry. We were like a family and it was sad to leave in the end even though it was time to move on. I checked many training locations and found this one to be more affordable than most.

If it wasn't for those training classes I would not have had the confidence to pass my board test. It is a very rigid test and requires muscle memory so the more you practice the more fluent you will be.

They always made sure to let us know there door is open and they also remained in contact with us to see how we were doing.Just like any program you get out what you put in.

Additional comments from Roger Swier:

1) As far as the student’s name, this took place several months ago, but what I assume happened was that a student on the second test date asked how the other students on the first test date did. I probably answered something like, “All of the students passed, but ‘Mary’ didn’t pass her blood pressure skill.” (She would have to retake the skills exam the following month.) Since some may consider this inappropriate—perhaps so—I no longer give student’s name when asked, even if the student has shared the results with their classmates on the test date.

2) Of course, there are no CNA training programs for $300—or, for that matter, for $400, $500 or $600—15 minutes on the phone will confirm this. The tuition at the local community colleges is considerably less than ours, but when you add in all their fees (including textbook, immunizations, sometimes parking), our program’s total cost is in the middle of the group. For example, the tuition at Emily Griffith is $405, but the additional fees are $430 (according to their website). There is often a months-long waiting list to get into many community college programs. When you consider the free skills practices we offer, which greatly improve our graduates’ chances of passing the certification exam on their first attempt, I consider our program the best value in the Denver metro area.

3) Goodwill currently only pays for training for residents of Adams County (the Goodwill program in Arapahoe County ran out of funds and has ended). Goodwill has never paid for training for residents of Denver County or Jefferson County. Most of the single mothers we help are from Denver, Jefferson and Arapahoe Counties.

Other agencies, like the county Workforce Centers, also pay for training for single mothers. However, many of our students do not qualify for their assistance, and some counties run out of funds and cannot offer financial assistance for months at a time. So we offer financial help to single mothers who cannot get help elsewhere, although it is usually just $200 or $300 off their tuition. We have paid for the partial scholarships of many of those single mothers in the past.

Our program also trains graduates from other training programs, which many of our class students may not be aware of. Usually 4 to 6 graduates of other CNA programs who did not pass their state exam take our Skills Practice Workshops or Written-Exam Prep Classes each month. There are many single mothers in this group. We offer financial help of $100 or $200, sometimes more, to these individuals, depending on need. Most of these individuals have little money (most are working part-time and making $8 or $9 an hour), and without the training and financial help they receive from us, they have virtually no chance of passing the state exam and becoming CNAs.

In the past, I have personally paid for partial scholarships for many single mothers. For example, in 2009 I gave back $18,000 of my minimal salary so that dozens of students—including single mothers and recent immigrants—could get financial help or reduced tuition to be able to take our program. When we have a little grant scholarship money available, we first use that money for these expenses. If we don’t have grant scholarship money available, ultimately I will end up paying for many of the partial scholarships we offer.

4) PASCO does pay our tuition for their clients. However, they do not pay for the extra written classes or skills practices some of their clients need. For example, currently 2 PASCO graduates are getting extra help from us to pass the written exam, and 2 PASCO graduates getting additional help for the skills exam. Neither PASCO nor the students pay these additional costs, which can run $150 or more. We often pay for exam fees if PASCO students do not pass their exam on their first attempt.

Most students need 4 or 5 skills practices to be ready for the state skills exam. However, many PASCO students have not been to school in years, sometimes decades, and need extra sessions to pass their skills exam. For example, we recently had a PASCO student who hadn’t been to school in 40 years and needed 10 or 12 skills sessions, at an additional cost to us of $150 or so, which we paid. Some years we have grant scholarship money available to pay these expenses, but when we don’t, I ultimately pay their additional costs.

**********

As I had written earlier, everyone interested in CNA training should call around to the various programs—and if possible talk to some of the hundreds of happy graduates of our program—and then decide for themselves which program is best for them.

to Roger Swier #1374320

Hello Roger ,

You guys were wonderful to me...... Im acually applying for a job could u give me the church address so my employer and verify that i took your coarse plz and thank you

Roger, you do not pay for the single mothers and mothers of special needs kids. I cannot believe you have the nerve to try and take credit for that.

Good Will and PASCO pay for these individuals to attend this overpriced program, not Roger!

there are 2 different days students take the exams.i was there on the second day, and Roger told us the name of a student who failed on the first day.

everyone there wouldn't have known if Roger didn't share this information. It was shockingly rude. Keep private information private! it's common sense.

This CNA courses runs $1,000 and others in the state are $300.Don't get ripped off.

Comments from Roger Swier (let me put my comments in the proper order): I am, of course, disappointed that the young woman who posted this entry feels she had a bad experience with our program. Let me respond to a few of the points she made:

1) On testing day, the students wait together in a room for their results. Most are very excited and relieved when they pass their exams, and almost all share their results with the others in the room. For many classes, there is clapping and cheering and hugs as students pass their exams—so the exam results are not a secret to their classmates. The only way we know who passes the exam is if the students tell their classmates or us. Thankfully, the vast majority of our graduates pass the exam on their first attempt—our program, as of June 2011, has a first-time pass rate of 91%, among the highest pass rates in the state.

2) The skills practices are free to all class students (see our website)—we ask only that students call when they cannot make a practice session, so we can schedule someone else in their place. The sessions are not mandatory, although we do push very hard to have our students come in and practice, since the practice sessions are key to them passing the certification exam on their first attempt.

3) We prepare a resume for all students who want one—as far as I know, the only program in the state which does this. We have resume paper and lists of CNA employers available to any student who wants them. If the writer had wanted either, I would have preferred that she had simply asked us for it. Most of our graduates are able to find their own jobs, although we have helped a number of our graduates prepare applications, etc. when searching for a job.

4) As far as money, I worked for free during my first 4 years with the program—I didn’t earn a dime (I lived off my savings) for 4 years. Since then, I have given many thousands of dollars of my already-minimal salary back to the program, so that dozens of recent immigrants, single mothers and parents of special-needs children can build a better life for themselves and their children. I encourage those looking for a Nurse Aide class to talk to some of the hundreds of happy and successful graduates of our program—and then decide for yourself!

Comments from Roger Swier (Part II): 3) We prepare a resume for all students who want one—as far as I know, the only program in the state which does this.We have resume paper and lists of CNA employers available to any student who wants them.

If the writer had wanted either, I would have preferred that she had simply asked us for it. Most of our graduates are able to find their own jobs, although we have helped a number of our graduates prepare applications, etc. when searching for a job. 4) As far as money, I worked for free during my first 4 years with the program—I didn’t earn a dime (I lived off my savings) for 4 years.

Since then, I have given many thousands of dollars of my already-minimal salary back to the program, so that dozens of recent immigrants, single mothers and parents of special-needs children can build a better life for themselves and their children.I encourage those looking for a Nurse Aide class to talk to some of the hundreds of happy and successful graduates of our program—and then decide for yourself!

Comments from Roger Swier (Part I): I am, of course, disappointed that the young woman who posted this entry feels she had a bad experience with our program.Let me respond to a few of the points she made: 1) On testing day, the students wait together in a room for their results.

The sessions are not mandatory, although we do push very hard to have our students come in and practice, since the practice sessions are key to them passing the certification exam on their first attempt.(See Part II)

Allgood, Alabama, United States #245021

You sound so surprised. That's what "christian values" are all about...your money.

View more comments